When should I register for VAT?


If you are doing business in the UK as an individual, a partnership, a company, an association, a charity, a local authority or any other organisation/group of people acting under a chosen name, then you could need to register for VAT. If your annual turnover is more than £85,000 (this figure can change on an annual basis) then VAT registration is compulsory. This also applies if you are anticipating your turnover to be higher than that amount in the next 30 days. If your turnover exceeds that amount temporarily then you must apply for an exception from registration. If you have received goods from other countries in the EU, registration for VAT is compulsory if the total value of the goods acquired has gone over £85,000 in the current year since 1 January.

For specific advice on VAT matters, either visit the VAT pages of our website, or contact our VAT Manager, Achilleas Mastoras.